Thursday, August 11, 2022

Faoiltigherna ni Bhroain - Order of the Dragon's Heart

 Faoiltigherna ni Bhroain
Staunch member of  Midrealm's terrain 

Appears before us today 

Her actions We will not downplay 


Decades of retaining the sums

Keeping records of all outcomes


Quiet Dedication to her canton 

With skills of a mathematician 


Their Majesties Runa & Arch

In these Debatable Lands of Barony-Marche 


Both agree Faoiltigherna needs

Recognition for her deeds 


The Order of the Dragon's Heart 

For one who makes service her art


Done this August 11th so

At Pennsic, this award We bestow


Wordcount 80 


Come not between the dragon, and his BLOG
- William Shakespeare

I was asked to write the words for a Midrealm award. While I had briefly lived in the Mid during mundane grad school, I had barely gone to any events, and certainly hadn't picked up much knowledge as to their award names. Thankfully most of the information I needed was readily available. I looked up the Midrealm Awards and found "The Order of the Dragon's Heart: given to those who have performed services on behalf of the kingdom above and beyond that normally expected."
 I wanted more detail on what the award was, and if possible, confirmation of the recipient's preferred pronouns, so I reached out to the Dragon Signet of the Midrealm
The Signet gave me the information I needed, the Midrealm Scribes Handbook, as well as a Google doc pertinent to the current reign. This reign had requested that Her Majesty's name go before His Majesty's in any court documents. 
 As for the composition, there wasn't much information on the recipient's persona and time period. But their name is Faoiltigherna ni Bhroain, which indicated somewhere in Great Britain, so I chose to use Octosyllabic Rhyming Couplets. This poetry form was found in England, Scotland and Wales at different centuries. 

Faoiltigherna ni Bhroain
Staunch member of Midrealm's terrain 
I took an educated guess about whether this rhyme would work. 

Appears before us today 
Her actions We will not downplay
Decades of retaining the sums
Keeping records of all outcomes
I am particularly proud of this couplet. I would rather describe what the recipient does than just say, "They were Exchequer for 20 years."

Quiet Dedication to her canton 
With skills of a mathematician
The write-up also mentioned that the recipient was the type of SCAdian who always helped out, but the emphasis was on their exchequer work. 

Their Majesties Runa & Arch
In these Debatable Lands of Barony-Marche 
I was pleased to rhyme His Majesty Midrealm's name with the Barony Pennsic is held in. That doesn't happen often. 

Both agree Faoiltigherna needs
Recognition for her deeds 
The Order of the Dragon's Heart 
For one who makes service her art
The Dragon's Heart appears to be equivalent to the Silver Crescent in the East Kingdom. Aesthetically it's beautiful: a heart-shaped shield filled with dragon scales. I felt very honored that I could contribute to this award! 

Done this August 11th so
At Pennsic, this award We bestow
I repeated the word "award" in the first and last couplets. It makes for nice end caps!


This was a very rewarding scroll to write and Hua Mulan made a visual extravagance. I hope the recipient loves it.




No comments:

Post a Comment