Saturday, April 30, 2022

Combat Scrolls - Tourney of the Daffodils

 At EK Youth Champion at the Tournament of the Daffodils V I was royalty liaison and spent the majority of the day in the royal room. It was up two flights of stairs, and due to medical issues, I wasn't moving far, so I struck up a conversation with the Eastern Crown Herald, Grim the Skald. He was the first Laurel in skaldic arts I had reached out to about Norse writing.

Two of the scrolls for the day's court had not arrived and he wasn't sure how he was going to present them as "Zen heralding” isn't his preference. 

I pointed out he had a wordsmith right in front of him, and he asked me to write two scrolls.


The first was a Silver Wheel for Budang Altajin, a fellow shire member of Midland Vale. 

I had the herald's notes for TRM and I decided to go with Chaucerian rhyming couplets. These words came easily to me. I concentrated on getting the appropriate pieces of information.  I didn't even have to re-write this one - it came out well the first time!


Today Budang Altajin receives the Silver Wheel

He keeps Midland Vale on an even keel


Working for Our fighters during the plague

Today his service is praised and no longer vague 


Demon King Ryou and Indrakshi Rani

Rulers of the East from land to sea.


Declare it so in Midland Vale

On April 30th AS 56, Beyond the Pale

Wordcount 59




The second scroll was an Apollo's Arrow for Tysha z Kieva. Archery scrolls seem to lend themselves to puns for me, and this one was no different - I even roped in some folk who were in the Royal Room to help! This scroll needed a rewrite, as I had crossed out and mentally rearranged a bunch of it. It definitely made me appreciate the ease of working on a computer - and wonder, yet again, how the great poets of old did this, at the very least, without erasers!!!


Tysha z Kieva

A decade and more, her work has been on TARGET.

SHARP and to the POINT, her arm is true and her BOW strong

HITTING her MARK in 3 different baronies as Champion!

Ryuo Demon King of the 3 Heavens and Rani Indrakshi aim

Tysha toward the Apollo's Arrow

With absolute trust she will hit the BULLSEYE

Forever more will KNOCK her skills as a part

Of a long STRING of ARCHERS worth their CLOUT

SHOT today at Midland Vale

Tourney of the Daffodils April 30th AS 56

Wordcount 90





This was a first for me, writing a scroll that would go out later that day.  It ate up a good chunk of time and I was glad for it.  It gave me something to do in the main part of the day, which kept my brain occupied.  So I can list Combat Scribing (as originally coined by Faolán an Sccreccain)  as something I have done.  But I am very glad to be doing composition at home, with access to my research, on my computer!


Court Report: Tournament of Daffodils


No comments:

Post a Comment