Saturday, November 13, 2021

Robert d'Whitmont - Silver Crescent

In the East Realm! O, Our East Realm! 

For the East Lands We do Rule 

King Ioannes and Queen Honig 

Are so filled with gratitude 


For Our Fine Robert d'Whitmont 

They that call Harry the Squid 

Who's years of service he'll not flaunt 

Softly doing what needs bid 


A presence at all assembly  

Chainmail fixings by his side 

Willing to teach folk, if they're free 

Giving kith, kin, and gear a ride


At Barony of An Dubhaigeainn 

AS 56, at St Andrew's

The date of November 13 

Amongst praises most perfuse 


We do grant the Silver Crescent 

Unto Robert d'Whitmont 

Witnessed today by all present 

Accolades, now his to flaunt 


******SPACE FOR ARMS******


The East Kingdom! O, the East Realm!

For the East will always shine 

Robert's afore Us, full of whelm 

As we laud him, all in rhyme 


Word Count: 136


In a cavern, in a canyon

Da-da-da da-da-da-da ...

A BLOG with no recognizable merit whatsoever

(With thanks to Tom Lehrer for the BLOG title)


This turned out to be an absolute joy to write.  The recipient is someone that I know, though not terribly well, but is a great friend of the calligrapher/illuminator Fiona the Volatile. He had a wonderfully detailed write up to work with and I had numerous personal stories as well.  

One story I wanted to reference was a tale of woe. How they were "lost and dirty in NewJersey on the way to war.” At some point in the past the recipient’s friends immortalized the tail in a filk to the tune of Oh My Darling, Clementine - commonly credited to Percy Montrose (1884).  Clementine follows a Trochee metre, but I followed the syllable count and verse structure more than the metric feet.


I started with a direct filk of the chorus from these  lyrics:

Oh my darling, oh my darling

Oh my darling, Clementine

You were lost and gone forever

Dreadful sorrow, Clementine


This became:

In the East Realm! O, Our East Realm! 

For the East Lands We do Rule 

King Ioannes and Queen Honig 

Are so filled with gratitude 

Originally I had the line, “O, the East Realm” repeated 3 times. But since the scroll is shorter than the song and I did have to convey certain information, I chose to vary each line to make it more interesting.

I also had to abandon the rhyme scheme, though I did keep it to the required 8 syllables per line.


For Our Fine Robert d'Whitmont 

They that call Harry the Squid 

Who's years of service he'll not flaunt 

Softly doing what needs bid 

In this verse I introduced the recipient and summed up why he was getting the award. He was described as the sort of person who goes above and beyond, yet never thinks it was a big deal. I also wanted to emphasize that he does what needs doing without being told.


 A presence at all assembly  

Chainmail fixings by his side 

Willing to teach folk, if they're free 

Giving kith, kin, and gear a ride

The next verse filled out more details of his service: how he’s at every local demo and event, a dependable aide to the autocrat. How he brings chainmail projects to events and is always willing to teach anyone who shows interest.  And an oblique reference to his overloaded vehicle on the way to Pennsic.


At Barony of An Duhaigeainn 

AS 56, at St Andrew's

The date of November 13 

Amongst praises most perfuse

This verse gave me the most trouble.  The place, date and hosting event rarely fit into a rhyme scheme and this was no different.  In the end, the first two lines of this verse with the barony, event and Anno Socieatatus year both have 9 syllables.  Hopefully I made up for this by keeping up the rhyme scheme.


We do grant the Silver Crescent 

Unto Robert d'Whitmont 

Witnessed today by all present 

Accolades, now his to flaunt 

Here I name the award being given. Early in my wordsmithing career I mistakenly used the word "grant" in an AoA scroll, and unfortunately the scribe only noticed the mistake after the calligraphy was finished. Since then I've learned better, and this time as it’s a grant level award I got to use that word.

 

This is also where I chose to put in the Space for the recipient’s Arms.  As far as I could find he has none registered.  



The East Kingdom! O, the East Realm!! 

For the East will always shine 

Robert's afore Us, full of whelm 

As we laud him, all in rhyme 

In the concluding verse, as in the song, I repeated the "O, the East Realm" lines. I particularly liked the last two rhymes: realm/whelm and shine/rhyme. 


While I didn't get much of the anecdotes, and details I had, which was lovely, I hope that the choice of metre and the song will do it for me, and that the recipient enjoys it.





EK Court Report: Saint Andrews


No comments:

Post a Comment